Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Chapter 37 The Big Secret

Introduction

The secret is out, and newly-engaged Alice wastes no time staking out Bettina’s kitchen.

“I have all this to learn, and I’m depending on you to help me,” she pleads, knowing full well soon-to-be Hubby’s animosity toward “frivolous” women.

Never one to shrink from a challenge, Bettina generously invites her friend to dinner, agrees to provide a crash course in cooking, and volunteers to host an announcement luncheon for the newly betrothed.

“Why, Alice, I just enjoy that kind of work,” she avows. “I’m sure between us we can think up just the prettiest, cleverest way of telling it that any prospective bride has ever had!”

Part 1

The Menu
Creole Lamb
Potato and Green Corn Croquettes
Rhubarb Sauce
Bread
Butter
Head Lettuce
French Dressing
Lemon Chiffon Pie
Cheese

Preparing the Meal

Creole Lamb

As this dish is made from leftover lamb I can the basic ingredient any way I please and hopefully come out with a tender chunk of meat to work with.

After some thought I decided to brine and then poach the lamb with the same technique I use for skinless chicken breasts. I discovered this process on thekitchen.com and, as the author asserts, it almost never fails.

Since only ½ cup of leftover lamb is required I felt that two chops (riddled unfortunately with more fat and bone than expected) would be sufficient.

As the meat’s already been brined in salt water I only need to season it with pepper.

Heating up the oil in my Dutch oven…

…and into the pot the chops go.


The technique is pretty simple: lower the heat, brown the meat for one minute, turn, clap on the lid…

…and let poach, undisturbed, for ten minutes.

It’s been about five minutes, and these chops still look quite raw.

As per the recipe given by thekitchen.com I’ve pulled the pan off the burner and reset the timer for another ten minutes.

It’s been twenty minutes since I slapped the meat in the pan, and I believe these chops are cooked (not a problem if they’re still slightly underdone—the meat will cook a bit more after it’s been added to the sauce and reheated).

Later
Chilled and chopped…now to brew up the sauce!

Melting butter over low heat.

Chopping onions and peppers.

Sautéing the vegetables.

Adding and then letting brown some flour.

Adding water (I had the option here of using beef stock but unfortunately had none in the pantry).

Now some tomato pulp…

…and lemon juice.

Adding horseradish (alas not the plain root I’m sure Bettina uses—the prepared stuff was all I could find).

And of course the “leftover” lamb. I’m not sure yet how this will taste, but it smells fantastic.

Potato and Green Corn Croquettes

I’ve seen many recipes that call for “green corn” but never exactly understood what that meant or how unripe vegetables could possibly be fit to eat.

But, according to The Free Dictionary, green corn simply means “young, tender ears of sweet corn.”—that “green” is definitely a misnomer!

But even with that mystery solved and Bettina’s avowal that Bob is very fond of these croquettes, I’m still a little uncertain. I really don’t see how on earth I’m going be able to get the pulp out of a hundred or more corn kernels without driving myself insane.

As corn season is long past I purchased a pack of frozen.

“Press out the pulp with the back of the knife”…umm, OK.

To heck with this…I’m going to toss the corn in my electric chopper and hope for the best.

The “pulp” is now to be cooked in butter…hard to tell though when it’s officially “done”.

These are the mashed potatoes to be mixed with the corn. They’ve been sitting in the refrigerator for several hours and need to be warmed up.

Adding spices.

As per the recipe I shaped the mixture into cylinders—an odd shape, I thought, until I realized they’re supposed to resemble ears of fresh corn.

Rolled in bread crumbs…

…and then dipped in egg.

Hmm…even with the coating these croquettes seem alarmingly soft. I’m going to refrigerate them and then fry them at the last minute.

Rhubarb Sauce

Like fresh corn rhubarb is not be had in November. Faced with that undeniable fact I had no choice but to substitute rhubarb jam.

Bread and Butter

It really didn’t seem appropriate to serve expensive breadstuffs at a meal made from leftovers. In this case pre-sliced commercial French bread will do just fine, I think.

Head Lettuce and French Dressing

Wow, this has got to be the easiest dressing ever.

Olive oil, vinegar, paprika, and salt.

Simply measure the ingredients into a jar, shake, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Lemon Chiffon Pie

Well, A Thousand Ways To Please A Husband has certainly perfected the art of giving with one hand while taking away with the other…this fiendishly difficult pie more than balances out the oh-so-simple salad dressing.

The first thing I noticed was that Bettina forgot to include a recipe for a pre-baked pie shell…no choice here [insert crocodile tears] but to use one purchased at the supermarket.

Squeezing the lemon.

Scraping two tablespoons of lemon rind.

Beating egg yolks.

The beaten yolks added to a mixture of flour and salt, and then sugar, the lemon juice and rind, and a cup of milk.

Now the eggs whites have to be whipped. I won’t even bother to justify my use of an electric mixture for the job…simply don’t have the time or the patience to manage without it.

Folding the beaten whites into the lemon mixture.

I’m rather surprised to see that this is the perfect amount of filling for the crust. Generally when I make a pie there’s either too little or too much.

And that’s about it. The pie is to be baked in a “moderately slow oven” for thirty minutes, allowed to cool, and then garnished with whipped cream.

Cheese


Lemon pie served with cheese? I definitely thought this a bit strange, but after a quick Internet search The Huffington Post assures me (“Cheese And Dessert Pairings That Will Blow Your Mind”) that both cheddar and/or gruyere are suitable. As I already have a block of the former in my refrigerator guess I’ll use that.

How It Looked



No comments:

Post a Comment